The Nederburg winery near Paarl, South Africa represented by PMA Canada, achieved a combined total of 41 medals at the recent 2018 Veritas Awards and 2018 Michelangelo International Wine & Spirits Awards. The accolades were awarded at two extravagant ceremonies held in Cape Town over the past two weekends.
Nederburg earned one Veritas double gold medal (museum class) for the 2012 vintage of its iconic Edelkeur Chenin Blanc Noble Late Harvest, and 10 Veritas gold medals for:
- Nederburg Ingenuity White 2017
- Nederburg The Winemasters Riesling 2017
- Nederburg Private Bin R109 Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot 2014
- Nederburg The Manor House Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Nederburg Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon 2014
- Nederburg Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon 2015
- Nederburg Private Bin R181 Merlot 2015
- Nederburg The Winemasters Noble Late Harvest 2017
- Nederburg Private Bin Semillon Noble Late Harvest 2001 (museum class)
- Nederburg Private Bin S316 Weisser Riesling Noble Late Harvest 2003 (museum class)
At the 2018 Michelangelo Wine & Spirits Awards, Nederburg won a total of eight medals. The 2017 vintage of Nederburg The Winemasters Noble Late Harvest achieved a Michelangelo platinum medal, while double gold medals were awarded to Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Anchorman Chenin Blanc 2017, Nederburg The Winemasters Albariño 2018 and Nederburg Two Centuries Cabernet Sauvignon 2015.
Michelangelo gold medals went to Nederburg Ingenuity White 2017, Nederburg The Manor House Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 and Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Motorcycle Marvel Nederburg Heritage Heroes The Motorcycle Marvel Rhône-style blend 2016.
Nederburg is regarded as a top producer of noble late harvest and Cabernet Sauvignon wines, a tradition cultivated over decades, started by winemaking legend, Günter Brözel, in the 1950s when he joined Nederburg. He was cellar-master here for 33 years, from 1956 to 1989.