17 global accolades secured across whisky portfolio – Distell has been crowned ‘Overall Distiller of the Year’ at the Icons of Whisky Awards in London last night (28 March). The leading spirits producer’s winning streak continued at the World Whisky Awards later that evening with three additional awards recognizing the company’s international single malt and grain brands.
The Icons of Whisky and World Whisky Awards were announced at a glittering ceremony with some of the industry’s most respected figures in attendance. Distell picked up gongs during the World Whisky Awards, including Best Scotch Islay Single Malt for the second year in a row for Bunnahabhain 25 YO; Best South African Grain for Bain’s Cape Mountain Whisky 15YO and Distell itself was recognized as Distiller of the Year.
The portfolio was also awarded 10 accolades in the first round of the World Whiskies Awards 2019, including three category winners, three gold medals, two silver and two bronze.
Derek Scott, Brand Director for Malts at Distell International, said: “We are passionate about our malts portfolio and are continually working to provide exceptional whisky for new and loyal audiences alike. These awards are amongst the most respected and influential spirits competitions in the world and to have received so many accolades across our brands is huge testament to the talented teams across the distilleries.”
Meanwhile, in Glasgow, the team were celebrating a trio of awards at the 12th annual Òran Mór Whisky Awards. Ledaig PX won Best Newcomer and Bains won Best Overseas Whisky. Sarah Farrugia, Business Development Manager at Distell with a strong background in food and drink, received the Whisky Rep of the Year accolade.
Commenting on the awards, Cameron Bowes, Channel Controller North at Distell, said: “We are extremely proud of Sarah’s award win, she always goes above and beyond in her role and it’s great to see this being recognized at an industry level.”
World Whiskies Awards 2019 first round results:
|Deanston 12 Year Old||2019||Gold|
|Scottish Leader 12 Year Old||2019||Gold|
|Scottish Leader Original||2019||Silver|
|Scottish Leader Supreme||2019||Bronze|
|Deanston Virgin Oak||2019||Bronze|
|Ledaig 10 Year Old||2019||Category Winner|
|Bunnahabhain 18||2019||Category Winner|
|Bunnahabhain 25||2019||Category Winner|
|Bunnahabhain Toiteach A Dha||2019||Gold|
- Distell is Africa’s leading producer of wines, spirits, ciders, scotch whisky and ready-to-drinks (RTDs) with a portfolio of close on 100 brands.
- Within the portfolio, Distell owns four single malts and a number of scotch brands produced across three distillery sites.
- The three distilleries include: Bunnahabhain on the Isle of Islay; Deanston in Doune, Perthshire and Tobermory based on the Isle of Mull.
- With a global network of offices and distribution partners, the company employs nearly 5000 people worldwide and has an annual turnover of R14.2 billion. (£1.09 billion)
- In Scotland, the company’s operations are based in East Kilbride where it has a bottling hall, with blending and warehousing facilities at Airdrie, both near Glasgow.
- Distell is the 2015 “Distiller of the Year” award winner at the International Wine and Spirit Competition.
- Bunnahabhain Distillery was named the 2016 Tasting Panel Magazine Distillery of the Year at the San Francisco World Spirits Competition (SFWSC).
For more visit: www.distell.co.za